The Greek Orthodox Ladies Philoptochos Society
St. James, in his Epistle, Chapter 1, Verse 22, exhorts all Christians to be "Doers of the Word, and hearers only". The members of the Philoptochos are indeed, "doers". Their accomplishments are monumental and are recorded in the annals of every Chapter of the organization.
As the philanthropic heart of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, the sisterhood has for more than seven decades undertaken a multitude of philanthropic programs to aid the poor, the sick, and the elderly. As noted in a recent speech by Georgia Skeadas, President National Philoptochos Society:
”Our mission is to promote charitable, benevolent and philanthropic outreach, to preserve the sanctity of life & family, and to perpetuate and to promote our Orthodox Faith and traditions. Our goal is to honor the relationship with God by using our gifts, our abilities, our compassion, our empathy, our faith & our love to make a better world for our family, our Greek Orthodox community and our contemporary society. With your wholehearted support we can continue to be the dynamic force of philanthropy of our Greek Orthodox Church.”
Locally, since the early 1930’s, the ladies in our parish have been always, “doing” and ministering, all the while enriching its membership and our Church by promoting Christian fellowship. Our Holy Trinity Ladies Philoptochos Society also supports many organizations at the national level. Philanthropia is a tradition of the Greek Orthodox Church dating from the Byzantine Empire. To learn more about the history of Philoptochos and the many projects supported, go to: http://www.philoptochos.org/
2010-2011 President: Mary Chakales
Top of Page